Aiteo Resumes Production After Spill In Nembe Oilfield 

June 23, 2024
Aiteo Resumes Production After Spill In Nembe Oilfield 

Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production Company (AEEPCO) has announced resumption of oil production after days it stopped due to a spill in its Oilfield in Nembe, Bayelsa State.

The reopening, followed a joint investigative visit to the spill site by all stakeholders, the company said in a statement released on Saturday.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

AEEPCO is the operator of the NNPC/Aiteo Joint Venture on OML 29.

Prime Business Africa had reported that the indigenous oil firm had on 17 June, announced shutdown of production after the oil leak that occurred on the Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL), a pipeline that transports oil from the field to the Bonny Oil Export Terminal.

As required by the regulations, authorities including the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), among others, were to visit the site to assess the spillage and level of impact.

AEEPCO’s Group Managing Director, Victor Okoronkwo, said a comprehensive assessment of its operations and assets on the oilfield had been conducted, adding that it was resolved that they would resume production while continuing other statutory spill management protocols concurrently.

READ ALSO: NNPCL, Aiteo Launch Nembe Crude Oil Grade

The company said: “After a comprehensive evaluation of our operations and infrastructure at the Nembe Swamp Field, we are delighted to confirm the resumption of production activities.

“Our dedicated team has worked diligently to address the issues caused by the recent incident and implemented enhanced safety protocols to prevent future occurrences.

“We have engaged with regulatory bodies, local communities, and stakeholders to ensure transparency and accountability throughout this process.”

The shutdown of the OML 29 that produces up to 150,000 barrels of oil per day had posed a threat to oil production in Nigeria.

Nigeria has struggled to increase oil output for years now, an ugly trend that has been attributed to oil theft vandalism and deteriorating oil infrastructure in the Niger Delta.

The country has not been able to meet the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) production quota.

A look at oil production data for this year, published by the NUPRC, shows fluctuation in output. From 1.42 million bpd in January, oil production dropped to 1.32 million bpd in February and further dropped to 1.23 million bpd in March. It rose slightly to 1.28 million bpd in April but dipped again to 1.25 million bpd in May 2024.

When compared to OPEC quota of 1.58 million bpd, oil production is short of 0.33 million bpd or 20.9 per cent deficit.

As oil remains major foreign exchange earner for Nigeria, increasing oil production to boost revenue remains imperative.

Victor Ezeja

Victor Ezeja is a passionate journalist with seven years of experience writing on economy, politics and energy. He holds a Master's degree in Mass Communication.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes after the former set up the latter against Turkey
Previous Story

Euro 2024: How Clinical Portugal disarmed Turkey in Dortmund

NPFL final
Next Story

Rangers To Be Crowned Today AS  NPFL 2023/2024 Season Ends

Featured Stories

Latest from Business

MTN Shareholders, Karl Toriola Lose N581.57bn Within Three Days

FG to Review MTN Group’s Acquisition of IHS Towers Over Sector Impact

The Federal Government has said it will undertake a comprehensive assessment of the reported acquisition of IHS Towers by MTN Group, citing the strategic importance of telecommunications infrastructure to Nigeria’s national security, economic stability and digital growth, Prime Business Africa reports. In

Zenith Bank, Skyway Aviation Drag Down NGX Market Cap By N577.40bn

The market capitalisation of the Nigerian Exchange (NGX), also known as the stock market, decreased to N121.55 trillion on Tuesday, February 17, from the N122.12 trillion recorded on Monday, February 16. This represents a decline of N577.40 billion in the market capitalisation,

Soludo Seals Shops for Two Weeks over Monday Sit-at-Home

The Anambra State Government has sealed dozens of shops at two major markets in Idemili North council area after traders failed to open for business on Monday, despite a directive to resume trading. The affected markets are the Building Materials Market in
Cristiano Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes after the former set up the latter against Turkey
Previous Story

Euro 2024: How Clinical Portugal disarmed Turkey in Dortmund

NPFL final
Next Story

Rangers To Be Crowned Today AS  NPFL 2023/2024 Season Ends

Don't Miss

Black Market Dollar (USD) To Naira (NGN) Exchange Rate Today, 31st August 2025

What is the dollar-to-naira exchange rate on the black market,
Akpabio Speaks On His Reported Collapse While Seeing Off Tinubu

Senate to Hold Emergency Session Amid Backlash Over Electoral Act Amendments

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has called an emergency sitting of